On March 2015, a collaboration agreement was signed between IST and CERN, which now allows students and recent graduates from Técnico to become associate members of CERN for up to three years, and collaborate in projects within different areas of information and communication technologies, including information systems, databases, accelerators control software, industrial control, operating systems, and distributed systems and infrastructures.
This unique and challenging opportunity allows for students to complement their university studies with practical experience in real-world projects at a world-class institution like CERN, high-quality technical and behavioural training courses, as well as an attractive non-taxable subsistence allowance.
Founded in 1954, the CERN (European Organization for Nuclear Research) laboratory sits astride the Franco-Swiss border near Geneva, and is home to the world's largest an most powerful particle accelerator, the Large Hadron Collider (LHC), used to study the basic constituents of matter – the fundamental particles. CERN was one of Europe's first joint ventures and now has 21 member states, including Portugal.
How to Apply
In light of the aforementioned protocol, students and recent graduates from IST can now be admitted by CERN to contribute their expertise on behalf of IST to the execution of projects chosen by CERN, as Project Associates (PJAS).The eligibility conditions for the programme are as follows:
- Candidates should have graduated (or are about to graduate) with a MSc university degree (or greater)
- Basic technical knowledge on the tecnologies required for each project, or having a relevant background which would allow their learning on-the-job
- Good knowledge of the English language
Interested candidates should apply to one or more of the official project announcements below by filling in the corresponding Application Form (see table below), where they should attach a CV (PDF file) which should state their favorite technologies and favorite subjects at the university (including achieved course grades).
NOTE: Since the applications will be processed by CERN, all documents should be written in English.
In this form, they should also clearly indicate the Projects of the positions they wish to apply to (see table below).
Shortlisted candidates will then be contacted for a personal interview with CERN project leaders, to be held in English at the premises of IST, where the candidate's experience and/or relevant fields of study will be discussed, and the project will be presented in more detail.
What do I get
Engineers admitted under the PJAS programme will be employed by their home institution, Técnico Lisboa, and the appointment conditions are as follows:
- Contract of association from 1 to 3 years
- Monthly subsistence (net of tax):
- 4128 CHF - single
- 4628 CHF - married
- 5128 CHF - married, with child(ren)
- 2.5 days of leave entitlement/month
- Personal accident insurance and social security cover
- Be at the forefront of technology and physics
- Collaborate with multicultural and multidisciplinary teams, without political or religious barriers
- Follow experts in their technical domain
- Be part of a dynamic environment with both on-site and external training opportunities
- Make valuable and long-lasting contacts from all over Europe
- Learn languages: CERN is a bi-lingual organization (English and French)
Next relevant dates:
- Deadline to submit applications: see table below
- Project start date: see table below (exact date to be discussed and agreed between IST, CERN, and the candidate)
|Application ID||Degree||Area(s)||Project Title||Starting Date||Application Deadline||Application Link|
|2017_Q4_034||MSc||Materials, Mechanical or Chemical Engineer||Materials engineer on SRF research activities||01/04/2018||January 26, 2018||Apply HERE|
|2017_Q4_035||PhD||PhD in Physics or Materials||Development and implementation of carbon coatings||01/05/2018|
|2017_Q4_036||MSc||Software engineer, Mechanical Engineer or Aeronautical Engineer||CAD/PLM application support engineer||ASAP|
|2017_Q4_037||MSc||Electrical Engineer||Electrical quality assurance for the superconducting magnets circuits of HL-LHC||April 2018|
|2017_Q4_038||MSc||Industrial Engineer (Mechanical/Quality)||Design, production, and installation of the equipment required to upgrade the LHC||April 2018|
Interested candidates can apply to one or more of the aforementioned projects related to this announcement, by following the procedure describe in How to Apply.
For any questions concerning the project associates programme or the projects, please contact one of the persons below.
Programme Coordinator for DEEC and other IST departments
Programme Coordinator for DEI